19 March, 2008

Made In China : Wave Rotors

Rear wave rotor (selling on ebay for 44 USD)
Front wave rotors (selling for 181USD a pair)

This is a typical example of anything you can do, I can do it cheaper. These 3 pcs of brake rotors cost under 300USD (or 420SGD) inclusive of shipping from Ebay. And this product has already reached the shores of Singapore. It claims to be be semi-float - ie. less noisy than the full floating option and able to line up to the calipers immediately upon bolting on.

It looks impressively nice, similar to those wave rotors produced by Braking, Galfer or MotoMaster. The front rotors are 0.5mm thicker than stock which gives a better lever feel up top. The rear should be a direct replacement to the stock with only cosmetic difference.

Quality of the rotors are still unknown right now, there are good reviews and a small handful who claims that the stock is better. For me, I'm only using the rear rotor (which I hardly even use when I ride) so I can't really comment on the effectiveness of this set of rotors.

A caveat though, as the front rotors are semi-floating, it means that the rivets are the only thing that holds the rotor to the carrier. And how these rivets are tested, it's still an unknown. What is the stress limit and breaking point we do not know too. That's the main reason why I'm still sticking to the stock rotors, as I can be pretty sure Suzuki would have tested those rotors to breaking point before allow them to be mounted on a 190mph bike. You don't really want to have those rivets giving way when you are braking from high speed (at least I know I for one wouldn't need to have that experience).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin