24 February, 2009

24V Starter Setup

Just gotten my 24V starter setup done yesterday. This following was a setup suggested by APE. It was however not adopted as the 2nd battery does not get charged.
And the following was what was being sold for USD$159!! No way i'm paying so much for some wires and a switch.
So I went out shopping for the parts and with a circuit diagram in hand. Went to this shop in Sim Lim Tower and asked the shop owner for recommendation for wires to use. And to my surprise, he recommended a wire only 10% the thickness of a 8AWG wire. I emphasized that it'll be used to carry up to 30A of current and he stands by his suggestion with good faith. He states that the wire is US Military Grade approved and went ahead to demonstrate the effectiveness of the shielding by burning it with a blow torch. Still, at the back of my head, there's a doubt that such a thin wire can carry such high current. Simply because high school physics teaches us that, R=p(L/A). The cross sectional area of this is significantly smaller than the 8AWG so surely the resistance of the wire must be quite high.

Backed by the confidence of the shop owner, I bought about 10m of the wire and headed back to start on the installation yesterday. Clifford took over the tedious work of crimping and soldering the wires while I just check the connections.

Moment of truth came when we just fixed up the 24V section of the circuit and decided to test the stability of the wires I've bought. As I turned the ignition on, pulled in the clutch, made sure that the switch is switched on, gingerly I pressed on the starter button. "Click," the starter relay went, I pressed a few more times, "click, click, click" was the reply from the starter relay and nothing else happened.

"Crap!" I thought to myself. As Clifford told me to double check the circuit diagram, I was quite certain the switching circuit was correct. It's the 24V connection part that I'm not too certain. So immediately, I went online and checked the wiring sequence. Turns out, indeed the wires are installed in the wrong order. And so, a simple swap was done and the next trial was up.

Once more, I turned on the ignition, pulled the clutch in and pressed on the starter switch. "Wheezzz" and the bike sprang to life. Never have I heard the starter turn with such ease and speed before. The sound was almost as exciting as it gets. Immediately I killed the engine and started it up again to hear the start again. "Wheezzz," effortlessly, the starter just jumped the engine to life.

This time round, we left the bike running till the fan came on. Just so that we can test the hot start capability of the 24V setup on a high compression engine. As the fan came on, I killed the engine and proceeded to crank it up again. And just like clockwork, the starter spun up with ease and the engine sprang back to life. Ok! Mission accomplished! Sort of...

The rest of the installation is just to wire up the parallel 12V part of the circuit and install back the bodywork. With that, I can safely say good bye to hot start nightmares!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin